Thursday, July 24, 2014

Age of Aquarius II and Fantasy Con


Here's a progress shot of Aquarius. Probably one more pass with the oils and I'll call it finished. 


FANTASY CON
Detail from The Fellowship of the Ring- Descent from Caradhras 

I was able to attend one day of Fantasy Con here in Salt Lake City. It was the first time coming here but after the continued success of Comic Con's debut here in 2013, I believe there will be a future for these events in my area. Fantasy Con was held the weekend of the 4th of July which might have hindered the attendance some. I had offered to help Donato Giancola when I saw he was one of the guest artists on the website. He took me up on the offer so on the 3rd, I headed down and helped him set up and watched his booth when he attended panels. Howard Lyon, Justin and Annie Stegg, Heather Theuer, and Steve Argyle were there as well as others I was less familiar with. The picture above is a detail shot of Donato's largest painting to date. Measuring 6' x 10', it captured everyone's attention.





 Lots of LOTR and plenty of families that truly embraced the Middle Earth spirit. 


Donato's Booth



 This last picture is so geeky/Ringer funny. Here's Eowyn, Arwen, and Galadriel viewing Donato's Middle Earth Art book in front of his huge painting. 


3 comments:

Tanja said...

That Aquarius painting is looking gorgeous! Love the color choices you made, too.

Angela Sandberg said...

Oh pooh! I saw you there, but I didn't know that was you. My fiend is a huge fan of Donato's work, and we hung out at the booth for a bit on Thursday when he wasn't there. Bah! Would've said hello otherwise. Just teaches me to always say, "hello" next time to the nice people manning the booths! ;)

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thank you Tanja. They are actually very specific about the color choices which make it a bit easier for me, decision-wise.

* Angela, I wish you had said something to me. I probably looked very concerned, worried that the phone/charging gadget would work for me. Next time, please introduce yourself. Thanks for stopping by.