Monday, June 4, 2012

I'm In Love...With a Dead Man

Have you ever run across an artist that simply makes you gasp, then sigh, then wish you could repaint everything you've ever done using the inspiration you absorbed from gazing at his/her work? Well, this morning, rather randomly, I glimpsed a painting on Pinterest by the Dutch painter, Jan Mankes (1889-1920). He lived only 31 years before dying of tuberculosis, but he left behind a significant body of work, including 250 paintings and 100+ drawings.This man could paint anything, landscapes, portraits, still life, animals. All done with such subtlety and delicate beauty. Mankes once said, "I paint or rather wish to paint paintings, silent but singing, singing indeed by their silence." Well, they certainly sing for me. Here are some samples of his work. This website has his entire portfolio.









6 comments:

Vicki said...

I completely agree with you. GOrgeous. Where has this man been? Why have we not seen his work before?

Susan said...

I can see a lot of his style in your style--and I admire both of your work very much.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Vicki - I think he is getting some recognition because his work is popping up in many places, now that I'm aware of him. There is something quite contemporary about his style.

Suzy - Thank you so much. I'd certainly like to incorporate his style into my work. I'm not seeing it yet. Appreciate your visit.

Windsongs and Wordhoards said...

Thanks for the introduction... his description of his own work says it well! It has such translucency and delicate quality of light... I will go and check out the rest of his portfolio...

Kim Rempel said...

Holy smokes. Amazing! So beautiful it gives me chills.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Glad you both stopped by, Carrie and Kim.