Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Little Red Riding "Snood" Finished

Due to time constraints, (and because I want to improve in digital painting) I decided to paint over my sketch in transparent, multiplied layers. As you can see below on the right, I quickly started getting too opaque and lost my sketch and gesture. Rebecca brought me back and showed me how to punch the jewel tones slightly so I didn't get too dull.
Started again (oh, the beauty of the "undo" button) trying to keep the sketch present. Oh, I also ended up adding a little to the top of my page...felt the wolf needed a bit more ceiling and brought the branch in from the foreground.
As I was playing around with layers, I accidentally tweaked to the blues and ended up quite liking what it did to the  mood. Had to desaturated the reds a bit and unify the mid-tones in the background. It was starting to look like two separate environments. Tried to subtly bring in the sun rays  and dappled light.
 I might light box the sketch and try an ink painting later but this was certainly a learning experience for me with the computer and Wacom tablet. I doubt I will ever get confident sketching on the tablet but painting certainly eliminates alot of the fear I experience with traditional paint.
Little Red Riding "Snood"

11 comments:

Susan said...

It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Magnificent!

Lindsay said...

I love the finished product and all the process shots.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its fabulous! I love following the process too and seeing how you think it out.

I'm not a dab hand with a tablet or the painting software, such a steep learning curve if you're not versed in it, but so many possibilities. And that 'undo' button...ahhh. :)

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful to hear and see about your learning experience. I have never messed around with art on the computer. this really is a beautiful piece with a feeling of mystique to it.

John Calvin said...

I think it turned out fantastic!

HIL and ERIK said...

Aw mom I love it! I like the muted colors and the touch of red. Sometimes less is more - and it still has a visual impact. You know? This drawing kinda reminds me of the illustrator of that old Snow White book that I absolutely love. Let me google ... Trina Schart Hyman! I love her illustrations and this reminds me of her. Beautiful mum.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

My thanks to each of you for your comments!

Unknown said...

Great conclussion to your project Kim! The finished result is excellent and should be a good addition to your portfolio.

Sophie Moss said...

I absolutely adore this piece! So haunting and beautiful. :)

Amy said...

Kim, this is such a beautiful piece, and I enjoyed seeing your process and how the mood changed as you made alterations. Lovely!