Sunday, August 9, 2009

Jeff Hein Portrait Workshop

I'd like to introduce Jeff Hein. Above is a self portrait, front and back. I studied with him awhile back at his atelier in SLC and learned much under his tutelage. Last week I was able to attend a three-day portrait workshop at his studio. Jeff's style is very direct....very painterly and his flesh is dead-on. The photos don't do his work justice, but thought I would post a few of his to show his style (although, once again he is evolving).

Below is one of his earlier works that I just love.This sketch shows Jeff's newer approach. His recent works have this wonderful Rembrandt-like quality to them with his impasto and brushwork.Below is a commission portrait in progress. I love the gesture and feeling of this boy. I can't figure if it's the last day of school or the first.

Above is a work called 12 Shades and they are all on separate panels. I was able to see him paint a few of these portraits while at the atelier.
I love this family portrait. This photo was taken at one of Jeff's exhibits at the Springville Museum of Art. It's titled, "Growing Up".
Tomorrow I will post about day one of the workshop.

No comments: