Sunday, October 2, 2011

Nearing The Finish Line

Haven't posted for some time. Been sort of consumed with this and other projects. After some deep reflection and honest appraisal of my other idea for this, I ended up starting from scratch and doing it using the mediums I feel more confident with. I simplified it too and closed her eyes, hoping, by so doing, I have conveyed the feeling that not only is she singing; she is listening too.
After sketching it out, I put down a layer of matte medium. On top of that I started putting down opaque gouache washes of the general color masses. Then I put down layers of Prismacolor Nupastel, lighting and darkening the shapes. Then on top of that, I started putting in the details in with my old faithful Prismacolors. I have now put down two layers of matte medium and will follow with oil glazes. Must be finished by Thursday.
For some reason, using colors that I can see right before my eyes, removes the "mystery" of color mixing and it's application. I wonder if something is wrong with my brain.

6 comments:

tlchang said...

Kim, *this* is beautiful. Why are you adding more oil on top of it??

Unknown said...

Wow, this is splendid. The redo is better. I don't think there's anything wrong with your brain!

BrittanyLane said...

I just love this painting. Simply stunning! I was happy to find your blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thanks Tara. The oil glazes do warm things up and create more depth.

*Thank you Jeremy. Hey, at my age, I'm grateful the brain is still functional.

*Thank you, Brittany. Appreciate your encouraging words. Glad you stopped by.

rosedatocdall said...

Truly, divine! Wonderfully done! I love everything about it! You should be so proud!!!

Love,
Rose

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thank you Rose.