Back in 2009 at IMC, I selected the Lady of the Lake assignment. I ended up finishing it digitally instead of in oils. I promised Rebecca Guay I would redo it in traditional medium. I pulled out another idea I had for it and thought it would be fun to try two different oil applications per picture. With the first photo I'm attempting to put down the bigger value shapes, taking an average of the value in shadow. I'll then go back in and bring out the subtle shifts in temperature and value on my second layer.
On this one I'm applying the oils in glazes, working wet in wet, allowing the graphite sketch to show through like an under painting. You can't see it in this photo, but the sketch looks really neat coming through the semi transparent layers, almost resembling the veins underneath the skin. I will let this dry and then fix some of the problems, especially the mouth. The paint was getting too tacky to do any more.