Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Beauty and the Beast


The oil is still tacky so I can't scan this yet, but I had to send it in. I've tried to color correct this but it's still too dark. The look I was going for was that of raw silk. I decided to change the background and place them in front of a screen to symbolize the prince hiding behind the spell of the tiger's pelt. I began this in watercolor after printing the sketch off on Epson Radiant White watercolor paper. For some reason, it started to flake off when I started applying colored pencil. So I sealed it and applied oil paint on top of that. Tara Chang gave me the idea for the second one which I did in Photoshop, just to see how it would look. Thanks Tara.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

This is excellent!

tlchang said...

The more I look at it, the more I like the cropped version (and *not* just because because I suggested it..). Makes it more unique and interesting compositionally IMO.

Bayra said...

Gorgeous! I also like the full background! Beautiful duo!

Crystal Cook said...

It's SO beautiful Kim!! Just amazing :)

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

My thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

Kim said...

This is so, so beautiful, Kim!

AmandaMoo said...

Wow! it looks great, I have an obsession with Tigers (if you could only see the room im sitting in - its full of tiger stuff)and iv enjoyed watching you progress with this art work. Very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kimberly - this is so beautiful - a whole story in one painting - whooosh - great!

Rob said...

Kim, this turned out beautifully. I've loved it since I saw it back in June at Amherst. And the kimono...MAN! Fantastic work!

LDahl said...

I love the effect of light and shadow, really it's a beauty Kim.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thank you to all you good people. I really do appreciate your comments. This was the first piece that actually came together for me so it means alot that others would like it.
Thanks again!