Sunday, April 26, 2015

I'm Still Alive

So...how's everyone been? Yikes! I fell off the earth there, didn't I? Well, I'm back and the Astro Calendar for Llewellyn Worldwide is completed. I'm satisfied with most of the paintings; some...not so much. Several other happenings have occurred as well. Rather than go into any lengthy explanation I'll just document some of the highlights.

First, here are a few of the completed zodiac signs. The calendar will be available in 2016. It was a learning experience for sure.
ARIES

 GEMINI

PISCES

In November, fellow Utah artist Greg Newbold invited me to participate in the "Lost in Fantasy" art show at the Pioneer Theatre Loge Gallery. It was my first experience of the kind and was so honored to hang with the other wonderful artists, including James Christensen. We could display both prints and originals. Out of 7 pieces, 5 sold. Very surprised and pleased.
Pluck, Defender of Daffodils
One of the originals that sold.

I was both amazed and honored to be selected for inclusion in this year's Spectrum 22. The piece that got in is Aquarius from the calendar.




I've also sold a few originals.

BARCODED

THE GUARDIAN
This was a difficult piece to let go due to it's personal nature, but she went to a wonderful collector who has purchased other pieces for his wife.

EDO
Back in November, I was invited to participate in Every Day Originals, a brain child of Marc Scheff and Lauren Panepinto. Basically, it's an online gallery that daily posts small originals priced $500 or less. You have a specific day to post your original every month. I've sold 4 so far. It's also provided motivation to experiment on personal pieces. Here's the most recent painting to sell.

WALLFLOWER

In June I will be heading to IMC once more. It's been 4 years since I attended. They have added a group that explores taking one's illustrations into the gallery genre. Brad Kunkle will be the guest artist. Very excited/scared to attend.

I hope this hasn't sounded like one brag after another. I've suffered set backs as well, mainly due to my lack of confidence and skill. Makes me want to push through these short comings and work, work, work. It's always a struggle to balance family and art. I have such admiration for the young women who brave motherhood and work on their art careers. I wasn't able to but that was my journey. Energy only goes so far. I am so grateful to have the support from friends and family now. It's been an incredible adventure...the good and the bad. 

And now, I end this blog post with the best news. Grandchild # 19 was born last month.

Finnegan
9# 6 oz.
He is one of those "surprises", It's been 10 years since my 40 year old daughter's last baby. Lots of arms to hold him. Such a blessing to live close by and be able to witness and help during his birth and watch him grow.

Life is good.
Bye for now.

7 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

oh my goodness, 19! he is so beautiful! do you remember everyone's name?

each piece of art is gorgeous
in feeling
in depth
and in detail
so happy for all your art happenings

lovely spring to you!

Susan said...

Kim, Your work is more beautiful than ever! I've been wondering how the calendar project was coming, and I hope you will write about where and when it will be available, because I must have one!
Thanks for giving this old, late starter a hefty dose of inspiration.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thank you Tammie and Suzy.

Amy said...

Loved your work in the exhibit at Pioneer Theater, and the Aquarius piece in your blog post is stunning! Glad to hear you have been busy with so many wonderful projects. Enjoy that new grand-baby!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thanks so much Amy. Loved seeing everyone's work. Greg's poster for the play was amazing. Hope you are well.

*Tammie: I do alright with their names. The birthdays? Not so much.

*Suzy: We "mature" women must stick together.

Debi said...

I Love. Love your work.
I am utterly enamored with THE GUARDIAN. And wondering how you would feel about losing a crosstitch chart to be created from it? And wondering if you made prints before you found it's final Home?

Debi Winegar

Debi said...

Dang...."allowing" a crosstitch chart to be created...(dang fingers! Chuckle)