Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Vin from Mistborn

 Ever since I picked back up with my art, I've enjoyed doing fanart from books and movies. There are many authors who can create such convincing characters, I just have to try to see them visually, on paper. If you aren't familiar with Brandon Sanderson, I suggest you pick up his Mistborn trilogy to start. I read the first one years ago and was so upset about the death of a certain character, it took me 2 years before finally continuing and finishing the series. It's one of my favorites now. After finishing the first book, I wanted to draw a scene that happens at the end. Vin, the main female character, goes off into the night to grieve. She simply gives over to her sorrow and anger and floats above the city, questioning her purpose and future. The mists come and envelope her. Here is the first pass of oils on board. I have no idea how I'm going to pull the tops of the buildings up through the mists....always a struggle to put on paper what I see so clearly in my head.

FYI: These are photos so the colors are slightly skewed.


2 comments:

Tanja said...

I started reading Mistborn finally last summer...and didn't like it. And I was so irritated by the dialogue and the writing style of the author that I could only read a few chapters at a time (a problem I've had with his other books as well). Think I read Mistborn about halfway before giving up entirely, something I rarely do. :) As I recall, I heard echoes from other stories I'd read in the past...didn't seem like there was anything new to discover; and the characters I'd "met" so far were rather bland or too stereotypical. But, I continue to hear nice things about the overall series...I may have to try and give the books another shot, particularly after seeing your fan art. :)

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Hi Tanya, Sanderson's work might not appeal to everyone. I don't mind if I detect other influences in books. I felt the magic system was very original and he created characters I cared about. I know what you mean though. I'm reading a book right now that was recommended to me by a librarian. She read it in a day and I've been laboring through it now for two weeks. Let's just say I won't be drawing any fan art from it.
Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment, Tanya.