Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Road Goes Ever On

I didn't just read Lord of the Rings. I experienced it. Spiritual so. I discovered Tolkien's masterpiece later on in my life. Somehow Frodo and Sam managed to slip by me during the turbulent 60's and 70's. I wasn't much of a reader during my childhood. But my grandchildren are...at least those who are able to so far.

My oldest grandchild, Jakob devours books. He's even writing his own book. He's 11 and has read the Fellowship of the Ring, and The Hobbit. We've been talking about doing a marathon movie night with all three extended versions. But that would take about 12 hours and neither of us have had the time to do that. But, before he returned to school after the Christmas break, we scheduled the first installment. Prior to Jake's arrival, I had to create a bit of Middle Earth magic for the proper LOTR atmosphere.

For various and sundry reasons, I have acquired a few LOTR standees. I dusted off the boys and put them on the porch to greet Jake.
Next, I printed out the words that hovered over the entrance to the Mines of Moria (Speak Friend and Enter) and then left my cell phone outside for Jake to call me and give me the answer to the riddle, which he did with no problem. (Notice the "one ring" on his finger).
We then donned Elven cloaks and prepared for the movie. During intermission, we dined on Po-Ta-To soup and sausages, apples, and lembas bread. The soup was especially tasty.

I have to say that Fellowship is my favorite of the three movies. Though I regretted the decision to omit Tom Bombadil and his trusty pony, Fatty Lumpkin, it still delivers. No matter how many times I see it, I tear up at Boramir's "departure". And though I know Gandalf returns, my heart catches as he urges the Fellowship to "fly you fools" and that boy soprano starts singing the haunting lamentation.
But the best part was sharing this with my grandson.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.






11 comments:

Kristopher A. Denby said...

What an awesome grandmother! He'll remember that forever. Fellowship is my favorite too! I wish I could go back and re experience the time when those movies came out. It was such a festive experience.

I am looking forward to the Hobbit films very muchly!

Peter V. Brett said...

I did a LOTR marathon party a couple of years ago, where we showed all 3 extended versions. I have a big 56 inch projection TV with surround-sound, so I was psyched to host.

We started at 10am on a Saturday, and went until about 10 at night. The rules were: no pausing, stopping, fast-forwarding or rewinding of movies once they start, and 20 minute break between films.

I pre-made a couple dozen panini sandwiches and kept the George Foreman grill nearby so people could heat them up without missing the action.

I kind of expected people to get bored halfway through and just start socializing, but everyone was riveted to the TV right until the end. The day flew by.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Thank you Peter and Kristopher for your comments.
Kris: In many ways, LOTR has ruined movie watching for me. Yes, there have been good movies since, but there was an energy that accompanied the Trilogy that I've yet to experience since. Ringers are devout fans. Hopefully, The Hobbit will satisfy. Last I heard, it will be two films, not one.
Peter: Next time you do that, may I be invited?? Two years ago, I found myself alone for a week while my husband visited his family and it corresponded with Bilbo and Frodo's birthday (Sept.22nd). I sat down, thinking I would only watch one and ended up spending the day immersed in Middle Earth. No regrets.
FYI: Just found this link: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/09/seven-geeky-ways-to-celebrate-frodo-and-bilbos-birthday-with-your-kids/ . Down the line, you and Cassie can celebrate the day in style.

Kristopher A. Denby said...

Kim-

I agree completely with your remark. It is sometimes very difficult for me to get excited about movies in the same way that I did for LOTR as well. And I, like you, came to the books through the films. I know it sounds corny, but a door to a new world was opened to me the day I sat down to watch The Fellowship in a Cinemark theater. I was truly transported.

If you're a real dork like me and watched all the making of extras, you get a sense for what it was like to be involved with those films from the perspective of the actors and crew. I will always envy those people and their experiences working on that film. THAT was true magic.

Marie said...

Kim, sadly I must admit that I have never seen LOTR and don't know too much about it, but I have to say that sounds like such a fun night with Jakob. What a cool grandma you are! I still remember the one on one times I had with my grandmas when I was really little.

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

What a magical time and memories made for you both!

I have those standees too Kim :) and have had movie parities for LOTR... but not all three at once, very cool.

(I had a Jane Austin party once for the 5 hour Pride and Prejudice though :)

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Peter: Hopefully, your book(s) will be filmed with similar integrity to the story. (My #2 daughter just finished it and loved it!)

Kris: I too have watched everything imaginable on those DVD's. Seems to me that Jackson and crew were more concerned with honoring Tolkien's vision than making a buck. That spell was cast over most of the people who slaved over the costumes and sets, etc. Rare indeed these days.

Marie: LOTR's isn't for everyone and I will have to find other ways to have one on one time with the other grandkids. This one was certainly easy since Jake and I share a love of many of the same things.

Cat: Takes you back to all the fan art and Ringer stuff. I would love to have a P&P party. Two of my daughters believe they should have been Bennett sisters.(BTW, have you Shannon Hale's Austenland?)

Thank you all for your comments.

LDahl said...

Kim I am so with you on this one!!! I watched every drop of the extended director cut DVD's many times it was bordering on the obsessed! :)
It would have been so cool to be part of WETA wouldn't it?
I've loved Tolkien every since I was about fifteen when my aunt gave me my first copy of The Hobbit. I was at odds with the world at that age, but found a world that I continue to love to this day with that book.
I have three different copies of The Rings, and will read again this winter for the humpthteen time! My kids really give me hell for being such a geek! But I remember when they loved for me to read them a chapter of the Hobbit at bedtime when they were little.
(They will be back)heheh!

David Wagner said...

What a cool thing to do.

Yeah, Fellowship is my favorite of the trilogy as well. That 20-minute stretch in the Mines of Moria - from the time they enter until they depart - is my favorite section of the entire trilogy. And Boromir has always been my favorite character (never found anyone else who agrees... some day...). His death scene is amazing. Infinitely better than Theoden's at the end of ROTK.

I followed the "blogroll" link over here from Kristopher Denby's blog, in case you were wondering how I got here...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,I arrived here via Kris Denby also.He said I should check out your artwork.By the way he is my favorite son.I agree on LOTR,although I remember it from years ago.My older brother had read all the books and talked about them.I remember seeing the animated version of the Hobbit.Like you the trilogy just about ruined movies for me,I'm still waiting for another one to come out.Cdenby

Kim said...

My favorite books, my favorite movies (though certainly not perfect and nowhere near as good as the books). Love the bonding with your grandson! I keep looking for Rivendell... it's where I want to retire!